chatpata masala sandwichSep 25th, 2012 | By Sowjanya | Category: All Recipes, Breakfast Recipes, Featured recipes, Kids Recipes, Lunch Box Recipes, Sandwich Recipes, Veg - Recipes
A classic Indian street style spicy sandwich that needs no introduction. But for those who are not familiar, its a sandwich with a spicy filling made with mixed vegetables and spread on a whole wheat toast. Next time if you want to quick fix a picnic lunch or feed a picky kid try this and you’ll be not be surprised if they ask for another serving. Here’s how I make it….
Note: I used fresh vegetables that I picked from our garden but you are free to add in your own veggies of choice.
4 slices whole wheat bread
2 tbsps melter butter (for brushing the bread)
2 tbsps cooking oil
1 small onion – finely chopped
1 small green bell pepper (capsicum) – diced
1 small tomato – diced
1 carrot – diced
5 green chillies – finely chopped (adjust to suit your spice levels)
a few sprigs of cilantro – finely chopped
½ tsp red chilli powder
½ tsp chaat masala powder
2 tbsps maggi masala chilli sauce/chatpata sauce
salt to taste
How To make the sandwich:
- Heat a non-stick skillet on medium heat
- Add green chillies, chopped onions, salt to taste and fry for 2-3 mts until the onions turn soft on medium flame.
- Add the carrots, capsicum, and cilantro. Fry for 3-5 mts or until they turn soft on medium flame.
- Add chopped tomatoes and fry for 2 mts on medium flame.
- Add red chilli powder, and chaat masala powder. combine. Add the masala chilli sauce and saute for another minute. Turn off the flame and set aside.
- Heat another non-stick pan on medium. Once hot turn it to a little lower setting than medium.
- Now assemble the sandwich as follows. Take a slice of bread, and place about 2 tbsps of mixture on one slice. Then top it off with another slice of bread.
- Now brush the outside of each slice with butter on both sides
- Place the assembled sandwich on the pan and grill for 2 mts on each side or until the crust is golden brown.
- Remove and serve with orange juice or cup of soup.