Lunch box Recipes @ MommyscuisineSep 13th, 2012 | By Sowjanya | Category: All Recipes, Breakfast Recipes, Featured recipes, Festival Recipes, Kids Recipes, Lunch Box Recipes, Veg - Recipes
Wheat Rava Pongal
As much as I used to dread settling down to school routine after a long summer break, going back to school has always remained fun. There was something special about new school bags, the fresh smell from the notebook covers and the funky labels on them, new pens, geometry boxes and what not. I guess I’ll never outgrow them! September is lunch box recipes @ mommyscuisine and I would be blogging in a handful of quick and easy to pack lunch recipes that are healthy too. Today’s recipe is wheat rava pongal and here’s how we cook it …………….
1 cup wheat rava
½ cup moong dal (pesarapappu)
2 tbsps cashew nuts (broken to pieces)
1 tsp cumin seeds
¼ tsp hing (asofetida)
5-6 green chillies (slit into halves ) – adjust according to your spice levels
1″ piece of ginger (grated finely)
5-6 curry leaves
½ tsp coarsely ground black pepper powder
4 tbsps ghee (clarified butter)
3.5 cups water
Salt to taste
Note: For recipes like upma, and pongal I always add salt then taste the water. If the water is salty then my dish would have the perfect amount of salt by the time it is cooked.
- In a pressure cooker, heat ghee and add cumin seeds, green chillies , ginger, and curry leaves . saute for a minute.
- Add moong dal, black pepper powder, hing(asofetida) and cashew nuts then fry for about 5 minutes on medium flame or until the moong dal turns light golden brown. By this time you can smell a nice aroma from the moong dal.
- Add wheat rava and saute for 2 minutes on medium flame.
- Add water, salt to taste gently mix. Cover the pressure cooker with the lid and cook until 3 whistles
- Serve hot with coconut-dalia chutney and sambhar
If you are not using a pressure cooker for this recipe then follow the below steps :