Grilled sundried tomato pesto sandwichSep 24th, 2012 | By Sowjanya | Category: All Recipes, Kids Recipes, Lunch Box Recipes, Sandwich Recipes
Sun-dried Tomato Pesto Sandwich
In the midst of making visits to the doctors, juggling with work and taking care of a our little one who is sick at home, I was able to find a few minutes to fix a simple comforting lunch for us with leftovers from the pantry. A grilled cheese sandwich with sun-dried tomatoes, basil, red onions and cheese, I must say it was heavenly! After making the sandwiches you will still have left over pesto that can be refrigerated. Now to the recipe…
Ingredients for sun-dried tomato pesto
½ cup sun-dried tomatoes
5-6 basil leaves (chopped)
1 clove of garlic – sliced thinly
2 tbsps chopped walnuts
3 tbsp of extra virgin olive oil
½ tsp black pepper powder
2 tbsps grated parmesan cheese
salt to taste
Ingredients for the sandwich
2 slices Whole Wheat Bread
1 tbsp melted butter (for brushing the bread)
2 slices mozarella cheese
2 tbsps sun-dried tomato pesto
few sliced red onions
How to make the Pesto:
- Grind all the ingredients for pesto in a blender to a paste and set aside.
How To make the sandwich:
- Heat a non-stick pan on medium heat
- Meanwhile assemble the sandwich as follows. Apply the tomato pesto on the bread, arrange with sliced onion and top it off with mozzarella slices. Then cover it with another slice of bread.
- Now brush the outside of each slice with butter on both sides
- Once the pan is medium hot, reduce the flame to a little lower than medium and place the assembled sandwich on it.
- Grill for 2 mts on each side or until the crust is golden brown and the cheese is melted.
- Remove and serve it with tomato soup.