Andhra Chicken FryMar 30th, 2009 | By Sowjanya | Category: All Recipes, Chicken Recipes, Non-Veg Recipes
Andhra Chicken Fry
A hot and spicy chicken stir fry dish from andhra, that tastes amazing with sambhar, rasam or just a simple dal. Its so easy to cook. Here’s how we do it:
½ kg chicken (wash and cut into bite size pieces)
2 tomatoes (Pureed)
Ginger & Garlic Paste – 1 ½ tsp
Turmeric powder – ¼ tsp
Chilli powder – 2 tsps
Salt to taste
1 tsp cooking oil
For the masala
4 cloves (lavangalu)
4 pepper corns (miriyalu)
¼ tsp cumin seeds (jeera)
¼ tsp of coriander seeds (dhaniyalu)
1 inch cinnamon stich (dalchini)
1 tbsp poppy seeds
1 tbsp cashew nuts (roasted with ¼ tsp of oil)
3 tbsps cooking oil
Curry leaves – 8 to 10
3 Green chilies (slit into halves)
2 medium onions (about 2 cups of chopped or sliced lengthwise)
Coriander leaves – 2 tbsps finely chopped (for garnish)
- In a bowl, mix the washed chicken pieces with tomato puree, ginger & garlic paste, salt, turmeric powder, chilli powder, 1 tsp of oil. Set it aside for about 5 mts.
- In a sauce pan, add the chicken mixture, 2 cups of water and cook till all the water evaporates and the chicken pieces turn soft. (about 15-20 mts). Set aside.
- While the chicken cooks, heat a skillet, and on low flame roast the masala ingredients (except cashews) till the flavors come out. (about 2 – 3 mts). Turn off the flame and let it cool. Grind to a fine powder along with roasted cashews.
- Heat 3 tbsps of oil in a kadhai, throw in the curry leaves and green chillies and saute for few seconds. Add chopped/sliced onions and fry till the onions turn soft golden brown.
- Add the cooked chicken pieces, and fry on medium heat for about 5 to 8 mts.Reduce the flame to medium.
- Add half the ground masala powder (adjust) and adjust salt, chilli powder.
- Garnish with freshly chopped coriander and serve hot with steamed rice, rasam or pappu charu
Note: Store the left over masala powder in an airtight container for later use.