vankaya vepuduJun 11th, 2006 | By Sowjanya | Category: All Recipes, Sides & Stir Fry's, Veg - Recipes
This is another tasty dish with brinjal that my mother in law prepares and is a good when accompanied with pappu charu, sambhar, or dal.
Fresh Brinjals - 10
Oil - 4 tb sps.
salt to taste.
Roasted bengal gram - 1 cup (also called putnala pappu/vepudu senagapappu)
Dried red chillies - 10
jeera - 1 t sp
salt - 1 tb sp
mustard seeds - 1 t sp
jeera - 1 tsp
curry leaves - 1 sprig
urad dal (minapappu) - 2 tb sps
dried red chillies - 4
green chillies - 6
onions, chillies and roasted bengal gram powder
1. Heat a pan and fry roasted bengal gram, dried red chillies, jeera in low flame for about 4 mts. Switich of the flame when bengal gram starts turning its color. Allow to cool, add salt and grind to coarse powder.set aside. (This powder can be stored in a tight container for about a month).
3. Heat oil in a kadhai and fry brinjals in low flame till brinjals turn soft. (cover with a lid and stir occassionally)
4. Set aside the brinjals once soft.
5. In the remaining oil, add urad dal, mustard seeds, jeera, dried red chillies (4), curry leaves, green chillies. fry for 2 mts in low flame.
6. Add onions, and fry till soft (for about 4 mts in low flame).
7. Add fried brinjals to onions, and cook for 3 mts in low flame.
9. Serve hot with rice, sambhar/pappu charu or dal.